The first generation of the Volkswagen Type 2 with the split windshield, informally called the Microbus, Splitscreen,
or Splittie among modern fans, was produced from 8 March 1950 through the end of the 1967 model year. From 1950 to 1956,
the T1 (not called that at the time) was built in Wolfsburg; from 1956, it was built at the completely new Transporter factory in Hanover.
Initial variants used the 1100 air-cooled 24PS engine, but later upgraded to the 1200 30 bhp in 1953.
A higher compression ratio became standard in 1955; while an unusual early version of the 30 kW (41 PS; 40 bhp) engine debuted exclusively
on the Type 2 in 1959. Any 1959 models that retain that early engine today are true survivors. Since the engine was totally discontinued at
the outset, no parts were ever made available. VW manufactured Camper vans were fitted out under the Westfalia brand.
Several independent companies also converted base Split Screens from new